How to guides
- Key areas of Digimap for Schools
- About the maps
- Navigating in Digimap for Schools
- Map selector
- View map keys
- Capture geographic coordinates
- Overlay geographic references
- View the compass
- Measure distance and areas
- Add text
- Add markers
- Add lines
- Add photos
- Add shapes
- Add buffers
- Add your own data
- Delete drawings
- Modify drawings
- Save maps
- Print maps
- Map information
- View Geograph images
The Map selector tool is found on the map window and is used to select different maps to view in the map window. You can also fade between different maps, which can be useful to compare a historic and contemporary map.
Select a different map
The Map selector button will be green when map selection is possible.
- To see what maps are available, select the Map Selector button to open the menu.
- To switch to a different map, select the button to the right of the map name.
- For example in the image below, Aerial mapping will be displayed as the button to the right is selected.
- Your selected map will be generated in the map window.
Fade between maps
Use this to compare two maps.
- Select the Map Selector button to open the menu.
- Select the 2 maps you want to compare – in the image below, we have selected Ordnance Survey on the right and Aerial on the left.
- Now drag the slider bar to the left in stages.
- As you move the slider bar in stages, the two maps will be displayed on top of each other.
- When the slider bar is fully left, only Aerial will be displayed.
- When the slider bar is fully right, only Ordnance Survey mapping will be displayed.
Maps of Great Britain
When over Great Britain, the Map Selector is available in the 8 most detailed scales.
Map Selector GB options
- Ordnance Survey - contemporary maps of Great Britain. The OS maps change as you zoom in and out.
- Aerial - aerial photography of Great Britain, available at 8 scales.
- AerialX - aerial photography with place and major road names, available at 8 scales.
- 1950s - available at 5 scales.
- 1890s - available at 5 scales.
When looking at maps beyond Great Britain, the Map Selector is available in the 6 least detailed scales.
Map Selector World options
- Atlas - displays World Panorama political and terrain mapping.
- World boundaries - displays Natural Earth mapping which shows country boundaries and place names in the Roman alphabet.
- Country level detail - displays detailed OpenStreetMap mapping. Place names may be displayed in the country’s native character sets e.g. Chinese or Cyrillic characters.
- World Place Names in Roman characters can be added to any map from the Overlays menu in the sidebar. See image below.
Digimap for Schools and Cookies
to improve your experience using the service. This includes anonymised Google Analytics data.
We won't share your data with anyone else.